Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dog Eyes

Dog Eyes April 10 2010


Large, dark brown, intense eyes

Bore deep into my soul.

They radiate robust emotions –

Desire, disappointment, fierce devotion –

They pierce my heart.

I know the soul behind them’s present wholly,

Loving fully.

I’m grateful,

Knowing I am loved so dearly

Just for being me,

A human, spark of God,

Bathed in God’s own love

Shining deep in dog eyes.



Reflection

Deva, my six year old Maltese, looks at me with soulful, dark, black-rimmed eyes – they laugh or they reproach, they incite to play, or they ache with the desire to communicate a desperate longing for something. “If only I could talk,” they seem to shout. She often actually tries to talk, obliging me to explain to people that “she’s not growling, she’s telling you…”

The hardest times to look into her eyes are those occasions when I have to tell her I’m leaving for the moment, and will be back later, or tomorrow, or next week. Suddenly, those dark pools are suffused with disappointment. Her ears droop, her head drops, her tail sags, and those eyes reproach me vividly, proclaiming her deep disappointment. I feel like a real lowlife – how can I bear to disappoint so deeply a creature filled only with love?

The thing about being loved by a dog or a small child is the completeness of that love. They hold nothing back, impose no conditions. They overflow spontaneously with joyous excitement each time I appear. I feel awed and deeply blessed to experience such profound affection, freely given, asking nothing in return. This is God’s love for me as for each of his creatures – limitless and endlessly uplifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment