Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ellen's birthday card

Birthday Thought to Ellen Jan 26 2011


Tomorrow would have been your birthday.

Web reminders say that I should send a card;

I wonder how to do that from this earth to where you are.

So here’s my birthday card to you, my Love –

An imagined nosegay:

I’m picturing it fresh and pure and white,

With smell so sweet;

Each flower is a precious moment

That we spent together;

Reminder of our songs, our laughter, even tears we shed --

All more special in the love we shared.

I tell you now, again,

How very glad I am that you were born.



Reflection:

Tomorrow, Ellen would have celebrated her 79th birthday. I can still celebrate this birthday as the anniversary of her birth – which is all a birthday is, after all. Reflecting on the significance of the day makes me feel closer to her friends and family, and I smile my appreciation of each one. I am so glad all of them were born as well. I’m very happy that they have continued as my friends, even though Ellen has gone on before us from this earth. In the two years since Ellen left us, I have moved ahead with my life, which is taking me into new adventures and insights. Yet, she is such a big part of me; her love is with me still, enriching, enlivening, and elightening me. I know I am fortunate to have known such a love. I embrace my gratefulness, and let it teach me greater compassion and openness with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment