Thursday, September 17, 2009

New York Experience

New York Experience September 17 2009



Ellen: City Spring

Searing lilac skies.

Glass panes blue, gold, soft silver.

Razor sharp shadows.



Reflections:

Ellen was a native New Yorker, and I learned to love New York in loving her. New York City has a unique pace, energy, flavor. I haven’t been here in five years or so, and the traffic has worsened, reaching total gridlock most of the day. There appear to be many more private cars in the traffic mix. Restaurants have gone and come. “Cheap eats” are suddenly “Chic eats.” I’ve seen endless ads for gourmet hot dogs and premium pizzas. Neighborhoods still function as multiple small towns, each with its own constellation of delis, diners, cleaners, gyms, people greeting on the street, and ethnic groceries. Apartment buildings tower over pedestrians, who all – no matter their age or ability – seem to stride with long, quick steps. I walked 20 or so blocks today, beside a stooped woman with white hair using a cane – and had to really march along to keep up., even though other walkers going in the same direction flowed by us on either side. Taxi drivers and buses vie for every inch on the street, apparently without so much as a skipped heartbeat. Even simple storefront restaurants offer food more savory than I’ve tasted since I was last in a large city.



Rosemary: The Kindness of Strangers September 17 2009

Penn Station. I get off the train with suitcases,

And stand on the platform, midst the swirling crowd,

Looking for a redcap. There are none in sight.

We’re deep underground.

I trudge along the platform weighted down,

Don’t see any elevator, don’t know where the exit is..

I guess I look the way I feel – bewildered.



Suddenly, a tall, genial man walks up and smiles, and asks if he can help.

I ask him where to find a redcap.

He laughs and grabs the bags out of my hand,

Motions with his head and strides off,

Saying “Follow me”!

I do.

We go up three lengthy escalators,

Crossing swarms of people hustling to and fro

At every station level,

Like ants around their colony.

He keeps making sure I’m with him,

As he leads me out an exit, to a taxi stand,

And says “You’re on your own.”

I can barely stammer “thank you” before he

Turns back and disappears again inside.

I can’t believe my good fortune.

Was he an angel, sent to help me?

It sure felt that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment