Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Crumbling Memories


                     Ellen's birthday Jan 2008 - Eames chair



Dust to Dust October 13, 2009


Your favorite chair broke today.

Foolishly, I worry that you might be angry or upset,

But of course I'm the one upset because I’m here –

Not you, who’ve traveled far beyond.

You were a proud possessor of that chair –

An original in rosewood by famed designer Eames.

You’d bought it to console yourself ,

To symbolize your New York style

When you left Manhattan for the suburbs many years ago.

You spent a part of every day

Sitting in its elegant embrace -- right up to the day you died.

It was your special chair, your biggest prize, almost a part of you.

Today, it broke in two – just like my heart a year ago.

Piece by piece, the things you left behind,

Like all matter, slowly fall apart –

Memories that fade and crumble over time.



Ellen: Hollow Pleasure, February 1 1997


I sit in my Eames Chair,

Good Johnny Walker by my side.

Fischer-Dieskau pouring sublime Mahler

Out of extraordinary speakers.

All is comfort, pleasure –

Designed to make me feel good, satisfied, joyous.

So why a poem?

Why the need to say more?

What is missing?

 


Ellen in Eames Chair, Christmas 2000, Berkeley CA

No comments:

Post a Comment